Contact lenses are a wonderful solution for patients who want to improve their vision without wearing eyeglasses. However, it is essential that you keep your contact lenses clean in order to avoid any eye infections or other problems. Taking care of contact lenses is easy when you learn about proper care with your Skokie, IL, eye physician.
Below are a few recommendations from Dr. Stuart P. Sondheimer of Skokie, IL, regarding contact care:
- You should thoroughly wash your hands using antibacterial soap and water before handling your lenses.
- Avoid using oil or lotion-based hand soaps that may cause clouding or unwanted debris on your contact lenses when you insert them.
- Always use fresh solution when cleaning or storing your lenses.
- Never re-use old contact solution.
- Be sure to clean your lenses daily, and store them in a clean case when not in use.
- If you have single-day contact lenses, please dispose of them properly after one day of use.
- Do not rub your contact lenses while in the eye with your fingers or fingernails.
- Rinse out your contact lens case after each day with fresh contact solution and leave it open to dry out.
- Do not leave your contact lens case open near the toilet or in moist, human areas where germs and mildew can grow.
- Keep your contact solution bottle capped and avoid touching the top dispenser.
- Replace your contact lens case at most every 90 days.
- Never wear contact lenses for more than a month.
- Only use contact lenses that have not expired–check your packaging to ensure you are wearing them beforehand.
- Avoid irritation of the eyes by reducing exposure to air smoke and pollutants.
- Always follow the instructions from your doctor regarding the keeping and care of your contact lenses.
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Stuart P. Sondheimer today!
If you have any questions about how to care for your contact lenses, be sure to ask your eye physician for more information. Dr. Stuart P. Sondheimer can give you specific instructions based on the type of lenses you have and your vision health. Call 847-677-2794 to request an appointment at his practice.