The IntraLase® Method for a Blade-Free LASIK Experience
We know the decision to have LASIK surgery is a big one, so we take great care to determine what’s best for you as our patient. That’s why we offer blade-free LASIK treatment using the IntraLase® method.
With the IntraLase® method, pulses of laser light create your corneal flap, which is then lifted so the next step of LASIK the reshaping of your cornea can be performed. When your LASIK treatment is over, the flap is securely repositioned into place. This bladeless, computer-guided technology is safer and far more accurate than the mechanical microkeratomes (hand-held devices with a thin metal blade) that surgeons may also use to create a corneal flap.
What is the IntraLase® method of vision correction?
The IntraLase method has been used successfully on hundreds of thousands of eyes and we trust this advanced technology to deliver exceptional results. Our commitment is to provide you with the ultimate in comfort, safety, and outstanding vision. LASIK with IntraLase® can help you achieve all of this while it delivers the added assurance of knowing you’re being treated with the most advanced technology there is.
Why is IntraLase® method preferred by patients?
In a survey of clinical practices, the vision in the IntraLase®-treated eye was preferred up to 3 to 1 by patients over the vision in the mechanical blade treated eye (among those who stated a preference).
LASIK performed with IntraLase® delivers superior visual results.
In a clinical study comparing the IntraLase® laser to the leading microkeratome, more patients achieved 20/20 vision or better in standard and custom LASIK surgery when the IntraLase® method was used to create the corneal flap.
How does the IntraLase® Method Work?
Unlike mechanical instruments, IntraLase® technology is uniquely able to program the dimensions of your flap based on what’s best for your eye. Then the IntraLase® laser creates your flap from below the surface of the cornea without ever cutting it. How?
- Ultra fast pulses of laser light position microscopic bubbles at a precise depth determined by our LASIK surgeon.
- The laser light passes harmlessly through your cornea. Then the laser creates rows of these bubbles just beneath your corneal surface as it moves back and forth across your eye in a uniform plane.
- Next, the IntraLase® laser stacks bubbles around your corneal diameter to create the edges of your flap. These bubbles are stacked at an angle that is determined by your doctor and is individualized to the way your eye is shaped.
- The process takes only about 30 seconds from start to finish, it’s quiet and it’s comfortable.
- Your doctor then gently lifts the flap to allow for the second step of your LASIK treatment. When treatment is complete, the flap easily “locks” back into position and rapidly begins to heal.
The superior accuracy of the IntraLase® method allows certain patients who were ineligible for LASIK to now be able to have vision correction treatment. In addition to providing this refractive eye surgery, our practice also offers other forms of eye care, including helping patients seeking treatment for cataracts and glaucoma in Chicago. Contact his offices today to learn more about all of the available treatments.
Schedule a consultation
If you would like more information on the IntraLase® vision correction method for LASIK eye surgery, contact our office today! Call 847-677-2794 to schedule a consultation with our LASIK surgeon.